One of the key components of dental implants is the implant itself, which acts as an anchor in the jawbone. It serves as a sturdy base for attaching different types of restorations, such as crowns, bridges, or dentures. The crown is custom-made to match your natural teeth in size, shape, and color so it looks seamless among your existing teeth.
The Process of Getting Dental Implants
The process of getting dental implants is a carefully planned and executed procedure that requires the expertise of a skilled dentist. It involves several steps to ensure successful implantation and optimal results.
First, your dentist will conduct a thorough examination of your oral health, including X-rays and scans, to assess the condition of your jawbone and determine if you are a suitable candidate for dental implants. If necessary, additional treatments such as bone grafting may be recommended to strengthen the jawbone. Once it is confirmed that you are eligible for dental implants, the next step is the placement of the implant itself. This involves surgically inserting a titanium post into the jawbone to serve as an artificial tooth root. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia to minimize any discomfort.
After the implant has been placed, there is a healing period known as osseointegration, during which time the surrounding bone fuses with the implant. This process usually takes several months but ensures a stable foundation for your new replacement tooth. Once osseointegration is complete, an abutment or connector piece is attached to the implant. This serves as a support for your final restoration – whether it’s a crown, bridge, or denture – which will be custom-made to match your natural teeth in size, shape, and color.
Throughout this entire process, regular check-ups with your dentist are essential to monitor progress and ensure everything is healing properly. Your dentist will provide instructions on proper oral care techniques specific to maintaining dental implants so they can last for many years with good maintenance practices being followed.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer a multitude of benefits that make them the best solution for missing teeth.
- One of the greatest advantages of dental implants is their ability to restore both function and aesthetics. Unlike other tooth replacement options, such as dentures or bridges, dental implants are designed to look and feel like natural teeth.
- Another significant benefit is that dental implants provide long-term durability. With proper care and maintenance, they can last a lifetime! This makes them a cost-effective option in the long run compared to other alternatives that may need frequent repairs or replacements.
- Moreover, dental implants help preserve overall oral health. When you have missing teeth, it can lead to bone loss in your jaw due to lack of stimulation. Dental implants stimulate bone growth by acting as artificial tooth roots, preventing further deterioration of the jawbone.
- In addition, dental implants offer improved comfort and convenience compared to removable dentures. They are securely anchored into your jawbone, eliminating any discomfort or fear of slippage associated with traditional dentures.
- Dental implants allow you to enjoy food without restrictions. Unlike removable dentures that may limit your diet choices, once your implant is fully healed and integrated with the surrounding tissues, you can eat all kinds of foods without worrying about damaging or dislodging your teeth.
Visit Sedation Dental Spa of South Florida at 18431 Miramar Pkwy, Miramar 33029, or 2028 East Sample Road, Lighthouse Point 33064, to learn more about Invisalign. You can also call our Miramar dental office at (954) 433-4300 or our Lighthouse Point dental office at (954) 946-8484.